If you’re in the business of selling cars then read on, this article was written for you. Does the following apply to you?:
- Your main business goal is to sell more cars
- You want to use the internet as a marketing tool
- You need website visits that convert to leads
- You need leads that convert to sales
To make your website work for you, you need traffic. But not just any kind of traffic, profitable traffic. Clicks that convert to leads, leads that convert to sales.
So the big question is: “How do you attract profitable traffic to your website?”
Let’s explore this question in more detail. To generate traffic from Search Engines, you can start by doing the following:
- Provide relevant website content: Content relevant to what people are searching for
- Be an authority on the topic – Google measures your level of authority by the number and quality of links linking back to your content. This includes social media.
- Provide a user friendly experience – Focus on website speed, usability, navigation and keeping broken links to a minimum.
- Don’t just do it for the traffic, do it because you are passionate about it. If you are serious about providing a relevant, authoritative, user-friendly website, it will show in the quality of your work. Google loves quality websites and sooner or later they’ll send you the traffic you deserve.
The above are the fundamentals of SEO. You can also follow other approaches to generate direct traffic:
- Promote your website address offline: On signage, in the media, business cards, your logo, flyers and other marketing material.
- Promote your website online: Get social and interact on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media.
- If you’re passionate about your industry, write about it, blog about it, tweet about it, make videos about it. Be an online authority and let all of your efforts point back to your website
If you’re doing all of the above, you are probably a very busy car dealer, but you’re already doing more than most and should be well on your way to online success. Unfortunately, this is not enough. What’s missing? Consider the following:
SEO is a long term, labour intensive approach.
Consider the amount of time you put into all of the above. Think about how much your time is worth to you. Now estimate the amount of leads you stand to generate from your efforts. This should give you an idea of the cost per lead. SEO does pay off in the long run, but it’s very labour intensive and initially your cost per lead can be very high when comparing it to your efforts.
SEO is a general approach
You’ll definitely generate some interest in your website by following the above guidelines, but you still won’t have a lot of control over what kind of visitors you’ll attract. With organic traffic, it’s hard to know what the intentions of your visitors are. Are they car enthusiasts (people who share your passion for cars, but are not necessarily in the market for the vehicles you have in stock?) Are they other car dealers or comparative shoppers/seller?
The problem is that not all traffic will be profitable traffic. Some visits are very unlikely to convert to leads, let alone sales.
You need an approach that specifically targets profitable visitors.
Let’s have a look at what a profitable visitor looks like:
- Somebody that’s interested in what you’re selling – what you have in stock right now
- Somebody that’s ready to buy now
- Somebody in the geographic area you target
Wouldn’t it be great if you could pin-point visitors that tick all these boxes and promote your website to them at the moment they are ready to buy? We’ll, you can!
The search terms, location, device, time of day and other factors related to a search can tell us a lot about the intentions of the visitor conducting the search. With SEO it can be hard, if not impossible, to focus on profitable visitors based on the above criteria, but there is another tool much more suited to the task: Google AdWords.
With Google AdWords you can decide who you want to promote your website to, based on:
- The exact search terms they use
- Where they are
- The device they’re using
- The time of day
- And more
And the best part is you only pay for results. Your listing on the Google search engine results page is free, you only pay for clicks.
You can decide how much one click is worth to you based on your own ROI factors (like click-to-lead-to-sale conversion rates) and only pay what a click is worth to you. Unlike SEO, you can also pause and start campaigns at any moment (based on your stock levels, for instance) so you have very real control over the money you spend on AdWords.
If you are interested in finding out how Google Adwords can work for you, contact us now on 02 9623 6403 and we’ll even give you some free credit to get your campaign started*.
*Terms and conditions apply